Building Inspection Information
Are inspections required during the course of construction?
Yes, The State of New Jersey requires that the construction department conduct the following minimum field inspections;
You must have the following information in order to request an inspection:
Required inspections are as follows:
1. FOOTING INSPECTION: The bottom of trench prior to the pouring of concrete.
2. FOUNDATION LOCATION SURVEY: For any new structure or addition over 500 square feet or free-standing structure, a foundation location survey must be provided to the building department before a foundation/backfill inspection can be requested.
3. FOUNDATION INSPECTION: Prior to the placement of backfill around the foundation.
4. ELECTRIC ROUGH INSPECTIONS: rough wiring, panels, and service installations
5. FRAMING INSPECTION: All structural and framing connections prior to covering with finish (gypsum board or wall covering) or infill material. Framing inspections are performed AFTER approvals have been given for electrical and plumbing rough inspections.
6. INSULATION: Prior to the installation of gypsum board or wall covering. Building exterior must be protected/covered – building must be watertight.
7. FINAL INSPECTIONS: A final inspection is required for each applicable subcode area before a certificate of occupancy or approval may be issued and all can be inspected on the same day.