Requirements for entering into a Marriage:
For two persons to establish a Marriage/ Civil Union in this State, it shall be necessary that they satisfy all of the following criteria:
- Not be a party to another civil union, domestic partnership or marriage in this State or recognized by this State; and
- Be of the same sex for civil union; marriages can be same or opposite sex couples.
- Be at least 18 years of age, except that applicants under the age of 18 may enter into a Marriage/Civil Union with parental consent. Applicants under the age of 16 must obtain parental consent and have the consent approved in writing by any judge of the Superior Court, Chancery Division, Family part.
Where to apply:
The marriage/civil union license application is to be made in the New Jersey municipality in which either party resides and the license is valid throughout the State of New Jersey. If neither applicant is a New Jersey resident, submit the application in the municipality where the marriage/civil union ceremony will be performed, the license is only valid in the issuing municipality.
Required documents when applying for a Marriage/ Civil Union license:
- Proof of identity such as your driver’s license, passport or state/federal I.D.
- Proof of your residency.
- Your social security card or social security number.*
- A witness, 18 years of age or older.
- The $28 application fee.
*Social security number is required by law for US citizens and will be kept confidential.
Any documents in a foreign language must be accompanied by a certified English translation.
After you apply:
- There is a 72-hour waiting period before the license is issued. The waiting period begins when the application is filed with the Local Registrar. There is no 72 hour waiting period for a Remarriage/Reaffirmation of Civil Union; however, you must bring a certified copy of your existing Marriage/Civil Union certificate.
- The marriage/civil union license application is valid for six months from the date accepted, unless the Registrar has given prior approval to extend the validity of the application to a maximum of one year.
- Once issued, the license is valid 30 days from the date of issuance.
- Certified copies can only be obtained from the municipality where the event occurred OR the state office via in person, online, or mail in request.
Marriage License Application