Tax Appeals

Taxpayers who disagree with their assessment have the right to file an appeal to the Bergen County Board of Taxation on or before April 1 or 45 days from the date the Assessment Notifications are mailed by the Borough, whichever is later. Appeals forms can be requested from the Bergen County Board of Taxation. If the property is assessed for more than $750,000 the taxpayer can appeal directly to the New Jersey State Tax Court. If you are dissatisfied with the judgement that you receive from Bergen County Board of Taxation, you may file an appeal with the NJ State Tax Court within 45 days from the date of the final judgement.

Contact Information

Bergen County Tax Board
1 Bergen County Plaza
3rd Floor, Room 370
Hackensack, NJ 07601
Phone: 201-336-6300

Tax Court of New Jersey
P.O. Box 972
Trenton, NJ 08625
Phone: 609-292-5082

Added Assessments

New Construction, structural additions and improvements completed after October 1 are valued and taxed under the Added Assessment Law. This way property that becomes assessable after October 1 does not avoid its fair share of the tax burden for the rest of the year. A new structure, or an addition to or alteration of an old structure, is valued as of the first day of the month following completion. If the value when completed is greater than the assessed value placed on the structure on October 1 of the pre-tax year, an Added Assessment based on the difference must be made. 

The Added Assessment is prorated on the number of full months in the tax year. Additional assessments that through error, were not made at the proper time, may be placed on the tax rolls through the Omitted Assessment Laws. An Omitted Assessment can be made for the current year and one prior year.

Added / Omitted Assessment Appeals

Tax bills for both Added and Omitted Assessments are generally sent in October and are payable on November 1. If you disagree with the Added or Omitted Assessment that is placed on your property, you can appeal it to the Bergen County Board of Taxation prior to December 1. An appeal form can be requested from the Bergen County Board of Taxation.